Framingham, Mass. – Led by three goals from Tournament Most Valuable Player Kessy Alves (Praia, Cape Verde), the second seeded Bridgewater State University men's soccer team defeated top seed Framingham State University 5-3 this afternoon in the finals of the 2018 Massachusetts State Collegiate Athletic Conference (MASCAC) Men's Soccer Championship Tournament at Maple Street Field.
- Score: Bridgewater State 5, Framingham State 3
- Records: Framingham State (13-6-2), Bridgewater State (11-7-1)
- Location: Maple Street Field – Framingham, Mass.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The Rams got on the board first just 8:07 into the game. Junior Isaac DeSouza (Sao Paulo, Brazil) sent the ball into the box to sophomore Akeem Bucknor (Manchester, Jamaica). Bucknor's first shot was saved by the Bears' keeper, but he corralled the rebound and found the back of the net for the 1-0 lead.
- The Rams doubled their lead in the 22nd minute as Bucknor found the back of the net for the second time in the game. Junior Bryce Nardizzi (Framingham, Mass.) laid a pass of to senior Ken Stahovish (Springfield, Mass.). Stahovish sent a cross into the box and Bucknor headed it home.
- A minute later the Bears got on the board and cut the deficit to 2-1. Junior Zachary Ells (Douglas, Mass.) sent a direct kick into the box that sophomore Kevin Roberts (Medway, Mass.) headed home.
- Ten minutes later the Bears tied the game at 2-2. Ells sent the ball into the box and Alves tipped the ball up and found the back of the net on a bicycle kick.
- The Rams grabbed the lead back in the 38th minute. Junior Samuel Agyakwa (Sunyani, Ghana) hit Stahovish with a thru ball and Stahovish sent a cross to freshman Ibrahim Kyeyune (Kampala, Uganda) who knocked it home for the 3-2 lead.
- The Bears had a chance just before the half to tie the score, but they had a goal negated on an offsides call.
- The Bears would go on to score three second half goals to secure the victory. In the 54th minute Robson Montrond connected on assists from Adam Gold and Justin Borges tying the game at three.
- The Bears next two goals with come just over a minute apart in the 80th and 81st minute. In the 80th minute Alves found the back of the net unassisted and in the 81st he scored off another assist from Ells.
- The Rams had one final chance in the closing minutes as the Bears keeper came off the line and Agyakwa had a clean look at the net, but the ball was knocked away by a Bears defender.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- The Bears held an 18-13 edge in shots for the game. Junior Corey Davidge (Blackstone, Mass.) took the loss for the Rams and made seven saves. Nate Morgado (Dartmouth, Mass.) earned the victory in net and made seven stops.
- Bucknor finished the game with a pair of goals for the Rams, while Stahovish picked up a pair of assists.
- The Bears last MASCAC Tournament Title came in 2015 when they defeated the Rams at Maple Street Field.
- The two teams met earlier this season on September 22nd with the Rams coming out on top 1-0.
The Bears receive the MASCAC's automatic bid to the 2018 NCAA Division III Men's Soccer Championship with pairings and seeding announced tomorrow at 1 p.m. on NCAA.com. The Rams see their season come to a close at 13-6-2.