Worcester, Mass. – WPI Freshmen Madison Frederick (Las Vegas, NV) and Meredith Eddy (Newfields, NH) scored their first collegiate goal while classmate Ellie Patten (Scarborough, ME) tallied her first point as the WPI women's soccer team defeated visiting Framingham State, 4-0, Sunday afternoon in Alumni Stadium. Junior Kristen McCrea (Weymouth, MA) accounted for the balance of the goals.
- Score: WPI 4, Framingham State 0
- Records: WPI (4-0), Framingham State (0-3)
- Location: Alumni Stadium – Worcester, Mass.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The Engineers (4-0) gained the early lead as McCrea tucked a feed from junior Becca Hapgood (Halifax, MA) just inside the left post at 4:58.
- Later in the half, Frederick knocked home a rebound at 37:04. McCrea made it 3-0 at 53:03 thanks to a cross from Patten.
- With less than three minutes to play, Eddy benefitted from a rebound following a corner kick.
- Ram senior Kayla Almstrom (Auburn, MA) booted a pair of shots, including one on-net, while sophomore Casey Good (Dartmouth, MA) also tested a WPI keeper in the second half.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Freshman Madison Brown (Attleboro, MA) turned away 13 shots in the effort.
- All three WPI goalies saw action with senior Gabriela Hoops (Stonington, CT) taking the first half. Junior Mandy St. Germain (Worcester, MA) stopped one shot in approximately two thirds of the second half and classmate Lauren Francis (Natick, MA) faced one shot the rest of the way.
- The shots were 22-3 overall and 17-2 on-goal in favor of the Crimson and Gray.
- Corner kicks were a closer margin with the Engineers getting the edge 4-1.
- WPI is back in Alumni Stadium Tuesday at 4:00 pm versus city rival Worcester State in the first game of a soccer doubleheader.
- The Rams host Keene State Wednesday at 4:30pm.
- For the latest on Framingham State Athletics, follow the Rams via social media on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and YouTube.
*Release courtesy of WPI sports information