Worcester, Mass. - The Framingham State University baseball team split a Massachusetts State Collegiate Athletic Conference (MASCAC) doubleheader with Fitchburg State Univeristy this afternoon at Rocheleau Field. The Rams dropped the opener 4-3 in eight innings before rebounding for a 12-3 victory in the night cap.
- Scores: Game 1: Fitchburg State 4, Framingham State 3 (8 Innings)
Game 2: Framingham State 12, Fitchburg State 3
- Records: Framingham State (18-15, 10-7 MASCAC), Fitchburg State (21-12, 11-6 MASCAC)
- Location: Rocheleau Field – Fitchburg, Mass.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
Game 1 -
- Framingham State broke a 0-0 deadlock in the top of the third as senior Aaron Williams (Brockton, Mass.) singled through the right side and eventually came around to score off a fielding miscue for the 1-0 edge.
- The Rams doubled their margin (2-0) in the top of the fourth when senior Kyle Lippert (Carlsbad, Calif.) singled up the middle to plate newcomer Gino DeSimone (Medford, Mass.) before upping their lead to 3-0 in the following stanza with senior Matt Fogarty (Millis, Mass.) lacing a double down the right field line to bring in classmate Kyle Dembrowski (Natick, Mass.).
- Fitchburg State knotted the score at 3-3 in the bottom of the fifth as junior Matthew Pingitore (Rutland, Mass.) doubled in classmate Brennan Cuddahy (Leominster, Mass.), while fellow junior Brandon Lefebvre (Leominster, Mass.) collected a two-run single that plated Pingitore and junior Alexander Bissanti (Franklin, Mass.).
- The game remained tied at 3-3 until the bottom of the eighth when freshman Vincent Eramo (Shirley, Mass.) grounded out to third allowing sophomore Nicholas Cordeau (Melrose, Mass.) to come in to score the winning run for the Green and Gold, resulting in the 4-3 final.
Game 2 -
- Framingham State jumped out to a 3-0 advantage in the top of the second when Lippert drew a bases loaded walk, while senior Joe Ambrosino (Bradenton, Fla.) added an RBI groundout.
- The Rams extended their lead (5-0) in the third as junior Corey Caraher (Plymouth, Mass.) ripped a two-run single to left field to bring in Fogarty and Dembrowski.
- The visitors upped their lead in the top of the fourth when junior Bobby Higgins (Barnstable, Mass.) launched a two run shot over the right field fence to make the score 7-0.
- Fitchburg State cut the deficit to 7-2 in the bottom of the fourth as junior Joshua Macomber (Berkley, Mass.) singled to left to plate Cordeau, while Cuddahy followed with a sacrifice fly to right.
- The Rams secured the split when Williams singled to right to score Caraher before Ambrosino singled in DeSimone, resulting in the 12-3 final.
- Senior Kevin Connelly (Bolton, Mass.) earned the win in game two going four innings and allowing two runs on two hits with eight strikeouts.
The two teams are back in action on Saturday in Framingham when they close out the three game series with a single-nine inning game at 3 p.m. Prior to the game, the Rams will recognize the 2019 senior class as part of Senior Day.
Release courtesy of Fitchburg State Sports Information