Framingham, Mass. - The Framingham State University baseball team scored three runs in the bottom of the first inning as the Rams defeated Fitchburg State University 4-3 in Massachusetts State Collegiate Athletic Conference (MASCAC) action this afternoon at Bowditch Field.
- Scores: Framingham State 4, Fitchburg State 3
- Records: Framingham State (19-15, 10-7 MASCAC), Fitchburg State (21-13, 11-6 MASCAC)
- Location: Bowditch Field – Framingham, Mass.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The Falcons got on the board first in the top of the first. Brendan Ferrell reached on a dropped third strike and stole second. Ferrell moved to third and eventually scored on a bloop single to left by Vincent Eramo. The Falcons loaded the bases with two outs in the frame, but Rams starter Al Wallach (Nahant, Mass.) got a strikeout to end the inning.
- The Rams countered with three in the bottom of the inning taking the lead for good. Three walks and a strikeout loaded the bases for the Rams with one out for junior Andrew Curtis (Dracut, Mass.). Curtis delivered a two run doubled to left and senior Matt Fogarty (Millis, Mass.) followed with a sacrifice fly for the 3-1 lead.
- Fitchburg State cut the deficit back to one in the top of the second on an RBI single to center by Nicholas Cordeau.
- The Rams pushed the lead back to two in the bottom of the fourth. With two outs, freshman Gino DeSimone (Medford, Mass.) reached on an error in the Falcon outfield. Junior RC Goodman (Springfield, Mass.) was hit by a pitch and senior Aaron Williams (Brockton, Mass.) walked to load the bases. Senior Kyle Lippert (Carlsbad, Calif.) followed with an infield single plating DeSimone with what proved to be the winning run.
- The Falcons threated in the top of the sixth loading the bases with two outs, but a long fly ball center ended the inning.
- Fitchburg added run in the top of the seventh cutting the lead to 4-3 on an RBI single from Brennan Cuddahy, but senior Kyle Hodgson (Berkley, Mass.) got two strikeouts looking to end the inning and the threat.
- Junior Kevin Scerra (Marlborough, Mass.) came on for the Rams and tossed a scoreless ninth allowing just one hit to record his second save of the season.
- Wallach earned the victory for the Rams going 5 and 2/3s allowing two runs, one earned, on nine hits with two walks and six strikeouts. Hodgson tossed 2 and 1/3 innings of relief allowing one earned run on three hits with two walks and three strikeouts.
- Richard Sharp took the loss for the Falcons going six innings and allowing four runs, three earned, on five hits with five walks and five strikeouts.
- Curtis finished the game with two hits and two RBI for the Rams, while Lippert also recorded two hits.
- Prior to the game, the Rams recognized the 13 members of the 2019 senior class as part of Senior Day pre-game ceremonies.
The Rams are back in action on Friday when they host Mass. Maritime for a MASCAC game at 6 p.m., while the Falcons host Gordon on Tuesday at 3:30 p.m.