Buzzards Bay, Mass. – The Framingham State University baseball team closed the regular season dropping a pair of game to Massachusetts Maritime Academy in Massachusetts State Collegiate Athletic Conference (MASCAC) action this afternoon at Hendy Field. The Bucs squeaked out the first game 1-0 before taking the nightcap 4-2.
- Scores: Game 1: Mass. Maritime 1, Framingham State 0
Game 2: Mass. Maritime 4, Framingham State 2
- Records: Framingham State (20-17, 12-9 MASCAC), Mass Maritime (11-27, 8-13 MASCAC)
- Location: Hendy Field – Buzzards Bay, Mass.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
Game 1 -
- The Buccaneers got on the board with the game's only run in the bottom of the first inning. Singles from Marley Dembitzki and Nick Haley started the inning. Jackson Simone reached on a fielder's choice putting runners on the corners. Simone was caught stealing second allowing Dembitski to score from third.
- After allowing the run in the first senior Al Wallach (Nahant, Mass.) was locked in a pitcher's duel with Brian Kwedor. Kwedor went the distance to earn the win for Mass. Maritime allowing just five hits with four walks and four strikeouts.
- Wallach took the loss allowing just the one earned run on four hits with two walks and a strikeout.
- Freshman Gino DeSimone (Medford, Mass.) recorded two hits in the game for the Rams.
Game 2 -
- The Bucs scored a single run in the bottom of the first and three in the second taking a 4-0 lead after two.
- The Rams got a pair of runs in the top of the fourth. Junior Bobby Higgins (Barnstable, Mass.) walked and moved to second on a passed ball. An out moved Higgins to third and senior Matt Fogarty (Millis, Mass.) followed with a walk. DeSimone walked to load the bases and junior RC Goodman (Springfield, Mass.) delivered a two run single.
- That was as close as the Rams would get as Mason Ashburn would hold them scoreless in the final three frames. Ashburn earned the win going seven innings allowing two earned runs on five hits with 10 strikeouts.
- Senior Kevin Connelly (Bolton, Mass.) took the loss for the Rams going an inning plus, allowing four earned runs on four hits with four walks and two strikeouts. Michael Tucci (Danbury, Conn.) and Josh Jezouit (Williamstown, Mass.) combined to toss five innings of scoreless relief.
The Rams will be back in action next week for the 2019 MASCAC Baseball Tournament with match ups being announced by the league later this weekend.