Westfield, Mass. – The third seed Framingham State University baseball team saw their season come to a close as the Rams were defeated 4-3 by second seed Fitchburg State University this morning in an elimination game of the 2019 Massachusetts State Collegiate Athletic Conference (MASCAC) Baseball Tournament at Bud & Jim Hagan Field.
- Scores: Fitchburg State 4, Framingham State 3
- Records: Framingham State (22-19), Fitchburg State (25-15)
- Location: Bud & Jim Hagan Field – Westfield, Mass.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- With the victory, the Falcons advance to the championship round of the tournament and will face the top seeded Owls of Westfield State at 2:30 p.m. The Falcons will have to defeat the Owls twice to win the MASCAC Tournament Title.
- Fitchburg State got on the board first with a single run in the bottom of the fourth and added two more in the bottom of the fifth taking a 3-0 lead after five.
- The Rams got on the board with two in the top of the seventh cutting the gap to 3-2. Senior Joe Ambrosino (Bradeton, Fla.) reached on an error and then scored on a triple to right field off the bat of junior Bobby Higgins (Barnstable, Mass.). After an out, senior Matt Fogarty (Millis, Mass.) plated Higgins with a double to right.
- Fitchburg pushed the lead back to two runs in the bottom of the eighth on a sacrifice fly.
- The Rams did not go down quietly in the ninth. Ambrosino doubled to lead off the inning and after a pair of outs scored on a Fogarty single. A strikeout ended the game and secure the victory for the Falcons.
- Senior Kyle Hodgson (Berkley, Mass.) took the loss for the Rams going seven innings and allowing three earned runs on six hits with no walks and six strikeouts.
- Fogarty finished the game with two hits and two RBI, while Ambrosino scored twice.