Salem, Mass. – The Framingham State University men's basketball team surrendered a run to the Salem State University Vikings to open the second half as the Vikings erased a 10 point deficit and went on to win 79-70 in Massachusetts State Collegiate Athletic Conference (MASCAC) action at Twohig Gymnasium.
- Score: Salem State 79, Framingham State 70
- Records: Framingham State (2-13, 1-2 MASCAC), Salem State (8-8, 2-1 MASCAC)
- Location: Twohig Gymnasium – Salem, Mass.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The Vikings opened the game with a 6-0 run before the Rams rattled off a 14-0 run capitalizing on five Viking turnovers.
- The Rams extended the lead to as many as 16 in the opening stanza before taking a 38-28 lead into the locker room. Sophomore Cameren McCloud-Thomas (Springfield, Mass.) and senior Khaneil Bruce (Cambridge, Mass.) tallied 10 points apiece in the first half.
- The Vikings used a 10-2 run to start the second half cutting the Ram lead to one, 52-51, with 10:20 on the clock.
- Sean Bryan put the Vikings on top, 58-56, with a three with 7:46 left in the frame. The Vikings pushed the lead to five late in the second half before securing the victory.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Senior Manny Payton (Fitchburg, Mass.) led four Rams in double figures with 16 points, four rebounds and three assists.
- McCloud-Thomas finished the game with a double double of 14 points and 11 boards, while Bruce finished with 14 points and eight rebounds. Sophomore Trevor Manyak (Bolton, Mass.) also recorded 14 points.
- The Vikings were led by 34 points and 11 rebounds from Bryan, while Hakeem Animashaun chipped in with 14 points and 10 rebounds.
- The Rams shot 47% (15-32) as they built their first half lead, but finished the game shooting just 37% from the floor (24-64).
- Salem State shot just 25% from the floor in the first half, but finished the game shooting 58% in the second half in route to the victory.
The Rams are back in action on Wednesday when they host Westfield State at 6 p.m.