Worcester, Mass.— The Framingham State ice hockey team overcame a 3-0 first period deficit to skate to a 6-5 overtime win over Becker College Tuesday afternoon in Worcester.
Score: Framingham State 6. Becker College 5 (OT)
Records: Framingham State (2-9-1), Becker College (2-12-1)
Location: Worcester Ice Center- Worcester, Mass.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Becker got off to a quick start as sophomore forward Charles Costello (Philadelphia, PA) scored just 11 second into the game on a helper from Corey Schafer (Johnstown, PA). Just over a minute later, Becker struck again when Tyler Forest (Simi Valley, Calif.) setup Ryan Kheir (Sugar Land, Texas) for his first collegiate goal.
- Becker increased their lead to three at the 5:31 mark when rookies Caleb Labrie (Greene, Maine) and Jake Cagnina (South Berwick, Maine) connected for a goal. The remainder of the period was evenly played, as Becker held a 13-11 edge over Framingham in shots.
- Framingham State logged their first goal of the game 7:55 into the second frame when Ryan McDonough (Dorchester, Mass.) slid the puck past Becker's goaltender, Ryan Clifford (Coventry, R.I.). Walker Hamilton (Anchorage, Alaska) assisted the goal. The Rams got within one 10:49 into the period when Ryan Paul (Morgan, Vt.) scored a power-play goal for a 3-2 score, still in favor of Becker. Three minutes later, Becker put their lead back up to two with a Jason Diamond (Lakeville, Conn.) goal. Each team saw a goal in the 18th minute, which led to a 5-3 score heading into the third period.
- Despite Becker outshooting Framingham State 18-9 in the final frame, Framingham State ruled the third period. Just 1:01 into the period, Jack Sheehan (Norwood, Mass.) scored on assists from Erick Walsh (Aston, Pa.) and Paul. Midway through the third, Matthew Siegel (Syracuse, N.Y.) beat a Becker defender on a Hawk power-play and found himself up against the Hawks' goaltender, where he sliced the puck past for the 5-5 tie score. Neither team was able to advance the score in regulation, which led to the overtime period.
- Framingham State's lone lead of the game was at the final moment when Bryan Whelan (Rockville Centre, NY) scored the game-winner 2:37 in.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Becker held a 40-to-34 edge in shots on net.
- Sheehan finished with two goals while Paul finished with one goal and two assists.
- Framingham State went 1-for-2 (.500) on power-play opportunities, while Becker went 0-for-1.
- The Rams held a 39-32 edge at the faceoff circle, as both McDonough and Paul had game-bests 15 and 14 faceoff wins, respectively.
- Ram net minder, Adam Calabrese (Philadelphia, PA) earned his first win of the season in a 35 save-performance.
- Clifford suffered the loss in net as he totaled 28 saves in 62:37 minutes played.
- Framingham State heads back to the Worcester Ice Center on Thursday (Jan. 10) as Worcester State will entertain the Rams in a 3:40 p.m. game.
- The Hawks resume play on Saturday (Jan. 12), hosting Southern New Hampshire at 7 p.m.
- For the latest on Framingham State Athletics follow the Rams via social media on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and YouTube.
*Release courtesy of Becker sports information