Fitchburg, Mass. – The Fitchburg State University ice hockey team defeated the Rams of Framingham State University 6-0 in Massachusetts State Collegiate Athletic Conference (MASCAC) action this evening at the Wallace Civic Center.
Score: Fitchburg State 6, Framingham State 0
Records: Fitchburg State (10-10-2, 7-6-2 MASCAC), Framingham State (2-17-1, 0-12-1 MASCAC)
Location: Wallace Civic Center - Fitchburg, Mass.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Fitchburg State opened the scoring at the 3:24 mark of the first period as junior forward Kyle Hillick (Byfield, Mass.) gathered a feed from senior Nick DiNicola (Wolcott, Conn) and sophomore Sascha Figi (Kloten, Switzerland) and fired a shot into the back of the net for his fifth tally on the year for the 1-0 margin.
- The Falcons doubled the lead (2-0) when Ricky Kramer (Barnstead, NH) found Figi open in the slot for his NCAA Division III leading 12th power play goal and his 23 goal of the season.
- In the second frame, the Green and Gold notched a shorthanded marker midway through the period. Off an outlet pass from junior Dean Zerby (Harrisburg, Penn.) senior Patrick Germain (Auburn, Mass.) fired a shot from the left wing that caromed off the Framingham State goaltender Adam Calabrese (Philadelphia, Penn.) into the net for the 3-0 lead.
- The Green and Gold extended their margin early in the third period when freshman Ryan Murphy (Wayzata, Mann.) redirected a shot inside the far post of a shot by Figi for his fourth tally on the season to make the score 4-0, en-route to a 6-0 final.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Fitchburg State finished 2-for-5 on the power-play, while Framingham State went 0-for-4 with the man advantage.
- Falcons held a 55-32 margin in shots
- McGrath stopped all 32 shots he faced en-route to his tenth win.
- Framingham State Calabrese finished with 49 saves in the setback.
- Freshman Bryan Whelan (Rockville Centre, N.Y.) finished with a team-best five shots for the Rams.
Falcons will travel to Salem State University next Thursday February 14th for a MASCAC contest starting at 7 p.m. Rams will travel to Westfield to take on the Owls on Thursday February 7th for a 7:35 p.m. start time
*Release courtesy of Fitchburg sports information