Framingham, Mass. - The Framingham State University ice hockey team was shutout this evening 5-0 by Worcester State in Massachusetts State Collegiate Athletic Conference (MASCAC) action at Loring Arena.
- Scores: Worcester State 5, Framingham State 0
- Records: Framingham State (0-4, 0-3 MASCAC), Worcester State (4-1, 3-0 MASCAC)
- Location: Loring Arena – Framingham, Mass.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The Lancers got on the board first just over seven minutes into the game. Freshman Deier Strange sent a pass to sophomore Brian Smith and Smith was able to slip it past the Rams keeper for the 1-0 lead.
- The Rams had a chance at the equalizer on the power play with just over a minute remaining in the opening quarter, but junior Ryan Paul's shot sailed just over the cross bar.
- Worcester State added a pair of power play goals in the second period extending the lead to 3-0. Sophomore Evan Schieber connected first just 2:34 into the frame off feeds from freshman Kevin Drevitch and classmate Petr Staif.
- Sophomore Nick Pennucci connected on a blast from the point just over eight minutes in to the period. Strange assisted on Penucci's tally.
- The Lancers tacked on two more in the third period including another power play goal to reach the final margin.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- The Lancers held a 35-30 edge in shots on goal for the game and went 3 for 5 on the power play, while the Rams were 0 for 7 with the man advantage.
- Freshman Blake Carlson (Clermont, FL) took the loss in net for the Rams making 30 saves, while Ryan Hoff picked up the victory for the Lancers making 30 saves.
- Strange and Drevitch tallied two assists apiece in the game for the Lancers, while Staif finished with a goal and two helpers
The Rams are back in action on Thursday when they host Fitchburg State at Loring Arena at 7:30 p.m., while the Lancers host Plymouth State on Thursday at 4:40 p.m.