Bridgewater, Mass.- The visiting Framingham State University men's soccer team earned a 2-1 victory over Bridgewater State University in a Massachusetts State Collegiate Athletic Conference (MASCAC) matchup on Friday afternoon at Swenson Field.
- Score: Framingham State 2, Bridgewater State 1
- Records: Framingham State (8-6-1, 5-0 MASCAC), Bridgewater State (2-11-1, 2-3 MASCAC)
- Location: Bridgewater, Mass. – Swenson Field
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Bridgewater forward David Nelson (East Bridgewater, Mass.) opened the scoring in the eighth minute as he notched his third goal of the season. Nelson tucked a shot inside the left post from the top of the 18 off an assist from junior forward Kevin Roberts (Medway, Mass.).
- The Bears nearly took a 2-0 lead in the 25th minute as senior forward Justin Borges (Milford, Mass.) ripped a shot just over the crossbar from 20 yards out.
- BSU senior goalkeeper Nate Morgado (Dartmouth, Mass.) made a terrific leaping stop on header attempt by freshman defender Dante Mancini (Hopedale, Mass.) in the 28th minute to maintain the lead for the Bears.
- Morgado also made a tremendous diving stop on a shot labeled for the right side of the cage by Ibrahim Kyeyune (Kampala, Uganda) in the 37th minute.
- The Rams tied the game at 1-1 on a controversial goal with 90 seconds remaining in the first half. Just as the BSU keeper was fielding a loose ball inside the 18, freshman forward Josh Ofosu(Chelmsford, Mass.) knocked it out of his hands and tapped a shot into the wide open net. The scoring strike marked Ofosu's second of the season.
- In the second half, Morgado punched one over the crossbar on a one-timer by senior forward Isaac De Souza (Sao Paulo, Brazil) from the top of the six in the 49th minute. Morgado made another leaping stop on a shot by senior forward Bryce Nardizzi (Framingham, Mass.) headed for the top-left corner of the net in the 60th minute. Moments later, Ofosu slipped a shot just wide of the far post from the top-right corner of the 18.
- Nardizzi broke the 1-1 tie in the 74th minute as he curled a shot inside the left post from 22 yards out. Junior defender Leonardo Sena (Framingham, Mass.) picked the assist on Nardizzi's seventh goal of the season.
- The Bears had a golden opportunity to net the equalizer as they were awarded a penalty kick in the 79th minute. Framingham senior keeper Corey Davidge (Blackstone, Mass.), however, made a diving stop on Roberts' PK attempt to maintain the lead for the Rams.
- Davidge made another diving stop on a header attempt by Roberts off a long throw-in with just over a minute remaining in regulation to help seal the victory for the Rams.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Framingham held a 24-15 shot advantage for the game as well as an 8-2 edge in corner kick attempts.
- Davidge made just the two saves to record his sixth win of the season. Morgado stopped nine shots in the setback for Bridgewater State.
The Bears host the Corsairs of UMass Dartmouth on Tuesday afternoon at 3:30, while the Rams travel to UMass Boston on Tuesday night for a seven o'clock game with the Beacons.