Clermont, Fla. – The Framingham State University softball team dropped a pair of game this afternoon falling to Buffalo State 2-0 before being outlasted 16-12 by Carleton at the PFX Games at Hancock Park.
- Scores: Buffalo State 2, Framingham State 0
Carleton 16, Framingham State 12
- Records: Framingham State (2-6), Buffalo State (1-3), Carleton (7-1)
- Location: Hancock Park – Clermont, Fla.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
FSU vs. Buffalo State -
- Buffalo State got on the board in the bottom of the first inning as they capitalized on a Rams error to score an unearned run on a single up the middle from Oriana Castello.
- The Rams had a chance to score in the top of the third. Sophomore Victoria Ziner (Easton, Mass.) singled and moved to second on a ground. Ziner advanced to third when junior Mycala Moody (North Attleboro, Mass.) reached base on an error, but Buffalo State got a pop out to end the inning.
- Buffalo State added to their advantage with a solo run in the bottom of the third inning. Chelsea Davis delivered an RBI single to left center with one out.
- The Rams loaded the bases with two outs in the top of the seven on back-to-back walks and a single by junior Kirsten Dick (Tewksbury, Mass.), but Buffalo State got the a foul out to end the inning.
- Castello earned the win for Buffalo State going seven shutout innings allowing just four hits with two walks and four strikeouts.
- Senior Kelsi Gunarathne (North Providence, RI) took the loss for the Rams in the circle going six innings allowing two runs, one earned, on six hits with four walks and eight strikeouts.
- Sophomore Grace Caughey (Mendon, Mass.), freshman Farrah Adam (West Springfield, Mass.), Ziner and Dick recorded single hits in the game for the Rams.
FSU vs. Carleton -
- Carleton built a 10-1 lead midway through the fourth inning, but the Rams plated eight in the bottom of the fourth to cut the deficit to 10-9. Dick and freshman Laela Pepin walked with the bases loaded for the first two runs and Adam reached on an error allowing the third run of the frame to cross the plate.
- Caughey followed with an RBI single to right and an ensuing error allowed a second run to score on the play. Senior Lauren Salisbury grounded out to second plating the seventh run of the frame and Ziner reached on an infield single to score the final run.
- Five in the top of the sixth pushed the lead back to 15-9 for Carleton, but the Rams got three in the bottom of the inning. Junior Kaylea Sherman reached on an error with the bases loaded plating the first run and Marissa Vellucci reached on a fielder's choice and error to score the second. Dick followed with an RBI single to account for the Rams final run of the game.
- Carleton added a final run in the seventh to reach the final differential.
- Ziner finished the game with four hits for the Rams and two run scored and an RBI, while Caughey finished the game with three hits, two runs scored and an RBI. Salisbury and Sherman chipped in with two hits apiece, while Dick went three-for-three.
- The gams saw the two teams combine for 28 runs and 12 errors.
The Rams close out their spring break trip on Friday morning when they face Western New England and Wisconsin-Superior at Hancock Park at 9:30 am and noon.