Framingham, Mass. – The Framingham State University softball team recorded a pair of run rule victories this afternoon in Massachusetts State Collegiate Athletic Conference (MASCAC) defeating Worcester State University 9-1 in six innings and 8-0 in five innings at Maple Street Field.
- Scores: Game 1: Framingham State 9, Worcester State 1 (6 Innings)
Game 2: Framingham State 8, Worcester State 0 (5 Innings)
- Records: Framingham State (15-11, 8-0 MASCAC), Worcester State (4-26, 3-5 MASCAC)
- Location: Maple Street Field – Framingham, Mass.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
Game 1 -
- In the opener, the Rams got on the board in the bottom of the first inning. Senior Lauren Salisbury (Cranston, RI) laced a single up the middle that plated sophomore Camille Desrochers (Westford, Mass.) who walked to lead off the inning.
- The Rams added three in the bottom of the third on a bases loaded three run double to right center by freshman Farrah Adam (West Springfield, Mass.) extending the lead to 4-0.
- Worcester got a run back in the top of the fourth when the Lancers capitalized on a Rams error to score a run.
- Three in the bottom of the frame pushed the Rams lead to 7-1. Sophomore Grace Caughey (Mendon, Mass.) plated a pair on a single and Salisbury followed with an RBI double plating Caughey.
- The Rams ended the game with a pair of runs in the bottom of the sixth to secure the run rule victory. Caughey plated a run with a sacrifice fly and junior Kaylea Sherman (North Attleboro, Mass.) scored one with a double.
- Senior Kelsi Gunarathne (North Providence, RI) earned the win in the circle for the Rams going six innings allowing one unearned run on four hits with a walk and three strikeouts.
- Rachel Frisch took the loss for the Lancers going three and a third allowing seven runs, six earned, on six hits with four walks and a strikeout.
- Salisbury went 4-for-4 in game one with a run scored and two RBI, while Caughey recorded a pair of hits and three RBI. Junior Mycala Moody (North Attleboro, Mass.) scored three times and recorded two hits.
- Ashley Lynch, Kaiulani Ennis, Katie Polselli and Kristen Hutson tallied single hits for the Lancers in the game.
Game 2 -
- In game two, junior Kirsten Dick (Tewksbury, Mass.) paced the Rams offensive attack going 2-for-2 at the plate with two runs scored and four RBI, while Adam drove in a pair.
- The Rams got on the board in the bottom of the third inning on a solo homer to left by Dick.
- A seven spot in the bottom of the fourth pushed the advantage to 8-0. With the bases loaded Dick doubled to left center clearing the bases and Caughey drew a bases loaded walk later in the inning. Desrochers scampered in from third on a wild pitch and Adam drove in the final two runs of the game with a single up the middle with the bases loaded.
- Caughey retired the Lancers in order in the top of the fifth to secure the Rams second run rule victory of the day. Caughey earned the victory going five scoreless innings allowing just one hit with two walks and two strikeouts.
- Liv Larson took the loss for the Lancers going three and two thirds allowing five earned runs on three hits with three walks and a strikeout.
- Between the two games, the Rams honored their two seniors – Gunarathne and Salisbury – as part of Senior Day.
The Rams are back in action on Monday when are scheduled to Mass. Maritime for a MASCAC doubleheader at 12 p.m., while the Lancers host Salem State on Monday at 12 p.m.