Framingham, Mass. – The Framingham State University softball team surrendered runs in the bottom of the fifth inning of both games as the Rams were defeated 3-1 and 5-1 by Brandeis University in a non-conference doubleheader at Marcus Field.
- Scores: Game 1: Brandeis 3, Framingham State 1
Game 2: Brandeis 5, Framingham State 1
- Records: Framingham State (18-16), Brandeis University (27-2-1)
- Location: Maple Street Field – Framingham, Mass.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
Game 1 -
- In the opener, the Rams, who were playing as the visiting team as the doubleheader, got on the board in the top of the first. Sophomore Camille Desrochers (Westford, Mass.) doubled to lead off the game and advanced to third on a ground out. Sophomore Grace Caughey (Mendon, Mass.) grounded out allowing Desrochers to score from third.
- The Judges tied the game with a run in the bottom of the second. Sophomore Jolie Fujita (Honolulu, Hawaii) belted a triple down the line in right and came around to score the tying run on an RBI single off the bat of freshman Sydney Goldman (Sherman Oaks, Calif.).
- The game remained tied until the bottom of the fifth when the Judges plated a pair. Singles from sophomore Melissa Rothenberg and freshman Amidori Anderson (Sparks, Nev.) gave the Judges runners on first and second with one out. After a line out, freshman Marley Felder (Miami, Fla.) delivered a double that scored Rothenberg and an error in the Rams outfield allowed the second run to score.
- Junior Scottie Todd (Tampa, Fla.) retired the Rams in order in the seventh to record her 12th victory of the season. Todd went seven innings allowing one earned run on three hits with a walk and seven strikeouts.
- Senior Kelsi Gunarathne (North Providence, RI) took the loss for the Rams going six innings and allowing three runs, two earned, on seven hits with no walks and two strikeouts.
Game 2 -
- In game two, the Rams once again grabbed the lead in the top of the first. Desrochers led off with a double to left center. After a pair of outs, senior Lauren Salisbury (Cranston, RI) delivered an RBI single through the left side for the 1-0 lead.
- The Judges tied the game in the bottom of the inning. Felder tripled to right field with one out and scored from third when Goldman reached on an error.
- The game remained tied until Brandeis took the lead with four in the bottom of the fifth. Singles from Marysa Massoia (Feeding Hills, Mass.), Keri Lehtonen (Oneco, Conn.) and Felder loaded the bases with one out. Todd followed with an RBI groundout for the 2-1 lead. Fujita reached on an error allowing two runs to score and Goldman followed with an RBI double to right center.
- Goldman earned the win in the circle for the Judges going seven innings allowing one earned run on five hits with nine strikeouts and two walks.
- Caughey took the loss for Rams going five innings and allowing five runs, two earned, on six hits with a walk and a strikeout.
- Salibury finished the game with two hits for the Rams, while Felder recorded two with two runs scored for the Judges.
The Rams are back in action on Wednesday when they travel to Roger Williams for a pair on non-conference games at 3 p.m., while the Judges begin a four game series with Emory at home on Friday at 2 p.m.