Bridgewater, Mass. – Second seed Framingham State University defeated top seed Bridgewater State University twice this afternoon, 7-5 and 8-0 in five innings, to claim their third straight Massachusetts State Collegiate Athletic Conference (MASCAC) Softball Tournament Title at Alumni Park.
- Scores: Framingham State 7, Bridgewater State 5
Framingham State 8, Bridgewater State 0 (5 Innings)
- Records: Framingham State (24-19), Bridgewater State (20-21)
- Location: Alumni Park – Bridgewater, Mass.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- By virtue of the tournament championship, the Rams (24-19) will advance to the NCAA Division III Tournament for the third straight season and fourth time in program history. The NCAA Division III Softball Tournament Selection Show will be webcast live at NCAA.com on Monday afternoon at one with regional play getting underway on Friday, May 10th.
- Senior Lauren Salisbury (Cranston, R.I.) garnered tournament MVP honors as she batted .563 (9-16) in five games with three doubles, six runs scored and eight runs batted in. Salisbury went 3-for-3 with a run and two RBI in the championship game victory.
FSU 7, BSU 5
- #2 Framingham State University forced the "if necessary" game after posting the 7-5 victory Bridgewater State in the championship round of the MASCAC Tournament.
- A two-run double off the bat of senior Lauren Salisbury (Cranston, R.I.) in the top of the first inning staked the Rams to the early 2-0 lead.
- Framingham added a run in the third on freshman Laela Pepin's (Acushnet, Mass.) two-out, RBI single to extend the advantage to 3-0.
- A BSU fielding error with the bases loaded and two outs in the top of the fourth handed the Rams another run and made it a 4-0 game.
- The Bears got their bats going in the home half of the fourth as they plated three runs on an RBI single by junior Shannon Grindle (Halifax, Mass.) and a two-run triple off the bat of classmate Meghan Navarro (Taunton, Mass.) to cut the deficit to 4-3.
- Bridgewater pushed across the tying run in the bottom of the sixth on clutch RBI single by junior Alexandra Ruprecht (Kingston, Mass.).
- Framingham banged out six hits in the top of the seventh, all singles, and scored three runs on three consecutive RBI base knocks from Pepin, junior Kaylea Sherman (North Attleboro, Mass.) and Victoria Ziner (Easton, Mass.).
- The Bears rallied for a run in the bottom of the seventh as freshman Megan Sharon (East Longmeadow, Mass.) doubled with one out and scored on senior Jenny Heller's (Taunton, Mass.) RBI single.
- Neither starting pitcher factored in the decision. Sophomore Grace Caughey (Mendon, Mass.) allowed three runs on three hits and three walks in 3 1/3 innings of work for the Rams, while freshman Kelley Reichert (Milford, Mass.) gave up four runs (three earned) on seven hits and two walks over four innings.
- Senior Kelsi Gunarathne (North Providence, R.I.) picked up the win in relief for Framingham. Gunarathne (13-12) allowed two runs on four hits and two walks in 3 2/3 innings.
- Junior Natalie Sorrenti (Bridgewater, Mass.) gave up three runs on eight hits in the setback for the Bears. Sorrenti (9-8) did not issue a walk and recorded the only strikeout of the game.
- Junior Mycala Moody (North Attleboro, Mass.) went 4-for-4 with two runs scored to pace the Rams' 15-hit attack. Caughey (2-for-4, R), Salisbury (2-for-4, R, 2RBI) and Pepin (2-for-4, 2RBI) also recorded two hits for the visitors.
- Grindle reached safely in all three plate appearances for the Bears as she singled home a run and walked twice.
FSU 8, BSU 0
- The Rams scored four times in the bottom of the first to take control of the game. Salisbury and freshman Farrah Adam (West Springfield, Mass.) rapped RBI singles in the frame, while freshman Laela Pepin (Acushnet, Mass.) plated a run with a sacrifice fly and junior Kirsten Dick (Tewksbury, Mass.) walked with the bases loaded.
- A two-out RBI single by Dick in the bottom of the third extended the Framingham lead to 5-0. Salisbury added an RBI single in the fourth and the Rams ended the game on sophomore Camille Desrochers' (Westford, Mass.) two-run double in the bottom of the fifth.
- Desrochers went 2-for-4 at the plate with a pair of doubles, a run and two RBI. Junior Kaylea Sherman (North Attleboro, Mass.) also finished with multiple hits for the Rams as she singled and double in three at bats and scored a run.
- Senior Kelsi Gunarathne (North Providence, R.I.) tossed five scoreless inning to record her 15th win of the season and her fourth win of the tournament. Gunarathne (15-12) scattered four hits, walked one and fanned two.
- Two BSU pitchers combined to give up eight runs (seven earned) on 13 hits with a walk and four strikeouts.
- Junior Meghan Navarro (Taunton, Mass.) singled twice in two at bats to lead the Bears' offense.