Providence, RI – Rhode Island College senior forward Brittany DeGrooth (Westerly, RI) netted her third career hat trick, her second of the season, and added an assist to lead the RIC women's soccer team past Framingham State, 7-0, at Alumni Field on Wednesday evening.
- Score: Rhode Island College 7, Framingham State 0
- Records: Rhode Island College (3-4), Framingham State (0-6)
- Location: Alumni Field – Providence, RI
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- RIC stuck quickly when sophomore midfielder Brooke Young (West Warwick, RI) fed a crossing pass to junior midfielder Madyson Christian (Douglas, MA) who tallied her fourth goal of the season with a blast into the corner of the net from 10 yards out for the 1-0 advantage in fourth minute.
- The Anchorwomen extended the lead to 2-0 in the 18th minute when DeGrooth scored after a pass from sophomore forward Soleil Galagarza (Pawtucket, RI) led to a breakaway down the middle of the field.
- RIC upped the lead to 3-0 when junior midfielder Breanne Ford (Schenectady, NY) had a penalty kick saved, but put in her own rebound with 16:32 left in the half.
- Galagarza capped off the scoring for the first half on another breakaway as she found the back of the net on a pass from senior midfielder Elena Couto (Coventry, RI) in the 45th minute.
- DeGrooth recorded her second goal of the game just 1:07 into the second half when she lofted in a shot from the far side of the field for her sixth goal of the season to put RIC up by five.
- Galagarza picked up her second goal of the evening, with an assist credited to DeGrooth, in the 60th minute to make the score 6-0.
- DeGrooth capped off her hat trick for the evening with an unassisted tally in the 63rd minute.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Sophomore goalkeeper Carissa Gaglione (West Warwick, RI) stopped five shots to pick up the win (2-0) for the Anchorwomen.
RIC led in shots, 22-7.
- RIC had a 4-1 advantage in corner kicks in the contest.
- The Rams will travel to Bridgewater State on Saturday, September 22nd for MASCAC action.
- For the latest on Framingham State Athletics, follow the Rams via social media on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and YouTube.