Framingham, Mass. – The Framingham State University women's soccer team scored the tying goal in game's final minutes forcing overtime, but Worcester State University tallied the game-winner in the 94th minute to secure a 3-2 victory over the Rams in Massachusetts State Collegiate Athletic Conference (MASCAC) action at Maple Street Field.
- Score: Worcester State 3, Framingham State 2 (OT)
- Records: Framingham State (4-10-1, 3-3 MASCAC), Worcester State (8-7, 6-0 MASCAC)
- Location: Maple Street Field - Framingham, Mass.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Both teams had their chances to score early in the game. Freshman Olivia Mihalek (Northborough, Mass.) had a pair of chances with 20 minutes left in the first, but one shot sailed just high of the crossbar and the Lancers keeper Ashley Spellman (Lancaster, Mass.) made a diving stop on the other.
- The Lancers had a chance with 17 minutes remaining on a direct kick by sophomore Maddie Fong (Norton, Mass.), but the Rams keeper freshman Madison Brown (Attleboro, Mass.) came up with the save on the low shot.
- The visitors got on the board finally in the 36th minute. Junior Skylar Alves (Ashburnham, Mass.) sent a corner into the box that senior Jenna Martin (Salem, NH) deflected into the net for the 1-0 advantage.
- The Rams had an opportunity at the equalizer in the opening minutes of the second as Mihalek sent a shot from the right side at the net, but the Lancers keeper was able to deflect the shot out of bounds.
- Worcester had a pair of chances to expand their lead with just under 30 minutes remaining but Brown came up with a pair of saves for the Rams.
- The Rams tallied the equalizer with just over 16 to play in the second. The Rams had a throw in from the left sideline that was deflected around in the box. The Lancers keeper came off the line and sophomore Jasmine Lees (Middleboro, Mass.) was able to get a shot into the back of the net.
- The tie did not last long as the Lancers tallied the go ahead marker in the 83rd minute. Sophomore Ali Maldonado (Rutland, Mass.) took a direct kick near midfield and sent the ball into the box on a high bounce. Martin was able to redirect the ball into the back of the net for the 2-1 lead.
- The lead was short lived as the Rams answered with the tying marker with 3:22 left on the clock. Senior Hannah Kane (North Attleboro, Mass.) sent a corner into the box and freshman Elizabeth Paolucci (Chelmsford, Mass.) headed it home for the 2-2 game.
- The Lancers took the ensuing restart right down the field and had a good look at the net, but Brown came up with a huge save preserving the tie sending the game to overtime.
- Maldonado sealed the victory for the Lancers in the 94th minute when she found the back of the net with a direct kick from thirty yards out.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- The Lancers outshot the Rams 14-11 in the contest and held a 7-4 edge in corner kicks.
- Brown finished the game with six saves for the Rams, while Spellman made three for the Lancers.
- Martin tallied a pair of goals for the Lancers, while Maldonado finished the contest with a goal, the game-winner, and a helper.
- With the victory the Lancers have secured the MASCAC Women's Soccer Regular Season Title.
The Rams are back in action on Tuesday night when they travel to Regis for a non-conference game beginning at 7 p.m. The Lancers travel to UMass Dartmouth on Thursday for a non-conference tilt at 7 p.m.