Framingham, Mass. - The Framingham State University volleyball team took the first two sets, before the University of St. Joseph's (ME) rallied for three straight to secure a 3-2 victory this evening in non-conference action at the Athletic Center.
- Score: St. Joseph's 3, Framingham State 2 (17-25, 19-25, 25-20, 25-23, 15-9)
- Records: Framingham State (14-11), St. Joseph's (ME) (8-14)
- Location: Athletic Center - Framingham, Mass.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- The first set was tied at 11-11 before the Rams rattled off three straight points to take the lead for good in the frame on a kill by freshman Brandee Thomas (North Kingstown, RI).
- In the second, the Rams opened up a 15-9 lead before St. Joseph's cut the deficit to 17-14 on a kill from Kelsey Bickford. The Rams scored three straight including a pair of aces from junior Brenna Marquis (Coventry, Conn.) pull ahead 20-14 and eventually take the frame.
- In the third, St. Joe's opened up a 13-6 lead before the Rams rallied to pull within two at 21-19. The Monks would close the set with a 4-1 run to take the set.
- The fourth set was back and forth with the two teams trading the lead and neither team leading by more than a couple. With the set tied at 18-18, the Ram pulled ahead on a service ace from junior Deirdre Fay (Cornwall, NY). After a timeout, the Rams pushed the lead to 21-19, but St. Joe's received a kill from Erin Olson and a pair of aces from Madison Provencher to take the lead for good and even the match.
- In the final set, the Rams led 6-4 on a Thomas kill, but St. Joe's used a 6-2 run to take the lead for good and secure the victory.
- Thomas paced the Rams with a career-high 22 kills on 42 swings. Thomas committed just four errors in the match for a .429 attack percentage. She also added four digs and an assist.
- Sophomore Brandey Rodriguez (Lawrence, Mass.) added 14 kills, two digs and block, while senior Mackenzie Whalen (Norton, Mass.) chipped in with 50 set assists and 16 defensive digs.
- Freshman Alyssa Cafarelli (Peoria, AZ) racked up 31 digs and three aces, while Fay finished with seven kills and 15 digs. Marquis also recorded double digit digs with 13 and four aces, while sophomore Grace Caughey (Mendon, Mass.) added seven kills, 10 digs and four aces.
- The Monks were paced by a team-best 16 kills, 17 digs and an ace from Bickford. Olson finished the match with 11 kills, two digs and had a huge game at the net with five solo blocks and two block assists.
- Jennelle Thompson led the defensive effort with 19 digs, while Sophia Randall added 22 assists and 12 kkigs. Sarah Dyer added 17 assists and 14 digs.
The Rams are back in action on Saturday when they travel to Emerson for a non-conference tri-match with Connecticut College beginning at 11 a.m., while St. Joe's hosts Rivier and Albertus Magnus in GNAC tri-match on Saturday beginning at 1:30 p.m.