Brookline, Mass. - The Framingham State University volleyball team defeated Newbury College 3-0 tonight in non-conference action at the Pappas Gymnasium.
- Scores: Framingham State 3, Newbury 0 (25-11, 25-19, 25-17)
- Records: Framingham State (16-13), Newbury (2-17)
- Location: Pappas Gymnasium – Brookline, Mass.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- The Rams were paced by seven kills apiece from junior Deirdre Fay (Cornwall, NY) and freshman Brandee Thomas (North Kingstown, RI). Fay also recorded a service ace and hit .227 from the floor.
- Sophomore Brandey Rodriguez (Lawrence, Mass.) added five kills, while freshman Alyssa Cafarelli (Peoria, AZ) recorded a team-high 18 defensive digs.
- Nighthawks sophomore Stephanie Rheaume (Hampton, N.H.) matched the game-high seven kills, hitting .278 from the floor. Sophomore Monica Bolduk (Vernon, Conn.) finished with four kills and 12 digs. Freshman Sophia Ortiz (Arlington, Tenn.) had the match-high in digs with 21.
- In the opening set, the Rams hit .267 in their 25-11 set win. The Rams broke open the set by winning the last seven points in the set.
- In the second, the Rams were off to a fast start with an 8-3 lead, but the Nighthawks fought back to within two at 15-13. But, the Nighthawks couldn't get any closer than two points and the Rams finished the set winning the final four points in the 25-19 set win.
- In the final set, the Rams opened on a 14-2 run to lead by a dozen. Newbury showed no quit, going on an 8-1 run later in the set to pull to a 21-16 deficit. However, the late set momentum fell for Framingham State once again, who won the final three points in their 25-17 set win.
The Rams are back in action on Saturday when they travel to West Field State for a MASCAC match beginning at 11 a.m.